IUBio

Careers in Microbiology\

A.Ferszt a.ferszt at nospam.ic.ac.uk
Thu Oct 8 19:26:10 EST 1998

dahd wrote:

> >ANd that Sir, has nothing whatsoever to do with the
> >> tidiness of a C.V.
> >
> >'Sir'???? Madame if you please!! While I admit to extensive genetic
> >engineering expertise, I don't normally try new techniques on my own
> >genome...<g> It would be interesting to know why you made the
> >assumption..
>
> Madame is fine, I just did not realize your gender as I was responding.
> OTOH, do you really wish to be called, "Madame."
>
> In our society "Madame" has an alternative meaning that you might not
> like.

I'm fully aware of the alternative meaning, but here in Europe it is a
usual form of address to women one does not know personally.

> "Sir" as used above is (perversely) gender neutral.

Never! Not to any of the women I know, least. I think our general
annoyance stems from the fact that in the scientific world, there is
still that male bias. When I worked as a teacher, generic mail came as
Dear Sir/Madam. When I was in the lab, generic mail (and indeed phone
calls) came as Dear Sir about 95% of the time.

But that has
> nothing whatsoever to do with sci. biology. careers. research.
> academia etc.
>
> My sincere apology.

No apology needed as no offence was taken. I just like to tease people
about these things!!

I did not realize that "a.ferszt" denoted the
> feminine gender.

No reason why you should...but you did have a 50% chance of getting it
right.

AF