IUBio

How much germs (bacteria, fungi) exist in the air ?

Graham Shepherd muhero at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 30 16:02:55 EST 1998

When these bugs moult, do they shed the entire outer surface? - if so they
will be shedding the lining of the G-I tract too. So the microecology of the
gut is going to be completely altered. Coprophagy is one way to restore it ,
but maybe the lysozyme changes are part of another mechanism for the same
thing?

GS
Stefan Eichler wrote in message <35C0A509.2311EE3A at ruhr-uni-bochum.de>...
>Tommy,
>Actually, I expected that the majority of bacteria in soil or air are
inactive,
>too. But, my problem arises from a immunological phenomenon present in
>hematophagous insects:
>3 weeks after a bloodmeal, the reduviid bug <Rhodnius prolixus> exhibits a
>higher lysozymal activity in the intestinal tract than shortly after
engorging
>blood. It is suggested that the lysozyme titre is that high because - in
>preparation for the moulting process - they 'ingest' air and must therefore
>avoid infections with bacteria they take up together with the air. But -
and now
>for the problem - to ensure their supply with symbionts, these bugs show a
>coprophagic behaviour mainly shortly after the blood meal but not 3 weeks
later.
>They ingest some fecal material originating from other specimens and so
easily
>could become infected with contaminating bacteria inhabitating the soil.
So, if