IUBio

oil eating bacteria

Richard Mateles rmateles at candida.com
Wed Jul 29 16:56:10 EST 1998

The yield of biomass per unit of substrate is a reflection of the energy
efficiency of utilizing a particular substrate.  For hydrocarbons with long
chains (C>12 or so), a weight/weight yield of 100% is common.  For methane,
it's lower, and for C2-C10, it's very much a function of which organism but
tends to be on the low side.  For reference, on carbohydrates, the
weight/weight yield is around 50%.  The difference is in large part
explained by the composition of the cell relative to the substrate in terms
of C, H, and O.

If you want to calculate ATP yields, there is ample literature on the
subject, and the yield depends on the microbe, and the substrate.

Rich Mateles