IUBio

phenol red

Chrystophylax conner at wingate.edu*nospam*
Wed Jul 29 14:09:47 EST 1998

An Internet friend (knowing that I am studying biology) asked the following
question:

Why does media for nitrifying bacteria contain phenol red?
I'm working with nitrifying bacteria.  I've based my media for them on
literature surveys; most media formulas contain phenol red.  Why is this
compound necessary when pH meters are available?  How would phenol red
affect bacteria?

I hate to tell him that I have no idea, can anyone offer any suggestion?