IUBio

Pressure Cooker as Autoclave

A.Ferszt a.ferszt at nospam.ic.ac.uk
Mon Jul 27 13:44:35 EST 1998

Mr J P Kerslake, B.Sc.,F.B.I.S. wrote:

> Peter Herman wrote:
> >
> > William J. Mason wrote:
> > >
> > > Everyone,
> > >
> > > The advice about the pressure cooker was well received.  Now the other
> > > question:
> > >
> > > What, if any, literature has been published on this?
> > >
> > > What brand names that you have had specific experience with work the best?
> > >
> > > Where can they be ordered (companies) or were they purchased at a kitchen
> > > supply store, Wal-Mart, etc..?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > >
> > > Jeff Mason
> > > University of Arkansas, Biological Sciences/Microbiology
> > > wmason at comp.uark.edu
> > > http://comp.uark.edu/~wmason
> >
> > We keep a Presto Pressure Canner Cooker that is 12" in diameter and 7"
> > deep in the lab as a back-up for small jobs during the periodic steam
> > outages we have.  I got it many years ago at a K-Mart/Wal-Mart type
> > store.  I suspect that if you are in the middle of a city where they
> > might not sell the bigger sizes (nobody growing stuff to can), you could
> > get it from a catalog from a Sears or Montgomery Ward.  Alternatively,
> > you could probably call Presto which is in Eau Claire WI for the name of
> > a local dealer.
> >
> > I don't about literature but I have checked mine by various methods
> > (tape, melt beads and spore vials) and get quite satisfactory results.
> >
> > Peter Herman
> > NMSU Biology
> > rpeter at nmsu.edu
>
> Household pressure cookers are not certified for medical &/or lab work.
> You can get into sevear legal trubble. There are small dental autoclaves
> that are OK. In the UK Pressure cookers work at up to 15 PSI whilst
> autoclaves work at 21 PSI.
> --
> John Percy Kerslake B.Sc, F.B.I.S., kerslake at SEES.bangor.ac.uk Webb=
> http://www.sees.bangor.ac.uk/~kerslake/bio.htm   Pager=01426-235878
> Dysliexia rules k o My spell checker dosen't work with my mail package
> I am writing this at work on a sun sparc station

The pressure cookers we use in the lab raise the temperature of water to
121 C, which is what the autoclave does. The autoclave of course can go
higher, but we don't use it that much at higher temps.

I think the person who was asking is involved in  research not patient
care, as am I. Certification is only required in a certified lab, and
they can recover their costs, which academic researchers cannot. Our
loads are always validated, which is probably what everyone else does.