IUBio

Microaerophilic knallgas bacteria.

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at stm.tudelft.nl.removethis
Mon Jul 27 06:59:30 EST 1998

Nicholas Landau wrote:

> Does anyone know of a citation or reference which can tell me
> of a gas mixture known to be effective in growing autotrophic
> microaerophilic knallgas bacteria?  I can remember having seen
> such a citation recently, but I can't find it now for the life
> if me.

There's a full description of media, etc, in Vol 1 of the prokaryotes
(p. 357, onwards). They say that with an O2 partial pressure of 0.05
bar, 0.1 bar CO2, and the rest H2, good results can be obtained. O2
should be higher for liquid cultures, but care shoudl be taken because
of explosion risks. There's a long description of the hazards, etc -
well worth reading.
Lesley Robertson