IUBio

Pressure Cooker as Autoclave

Peter Herman rpeter at nmsu.edu
Wed Jul 22 11:07:15 EST 1998

William J. Mason wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> The advice about the pressure cooker was well received.  Now the other
> question:
>
> What, if any, literature has been published on this?
>
> What brand names that you have had specific experience with work the best?
>
> Where can they be ordered (companies) or were they purchased at a kitchen
> supply store, Wal-Mart, etc..?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Jeff Mason
> University of Arkansas, Biological Sciences/Microbiology
> wmason at comp.uark.edu
> http://comp.uark.edu/~wmason

We keep a Presto Pressure Canner Cooker that is 12" in diameter and 7"
deep in the lab as a back-up for small jobs during the periodic steam
outages we have.  I got it many years ago at a K-Mart/Wal-Mart type
store.  I suspect that if you are in the middle of a city where they
might not sell the bigger sizes (nobody growing stuff to can), you could
get it from a catalog from a Sears or Montgomery Ward.  Alternatively,
you could probably call Presto which is in Eau Claire WI for the name of
a local dealer.

I don't about literature but I have checked mine by various methods
(tape, melt beads and spore vials) and get quite satisfactory results.

Peter Herman
NMSU Biology
rpeter at nmsu.edu