IUBio

toxin decontamination??

Mike O'Hara mjohara at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jul 22 04:55:14 EST 1998

John Gentry wrote:

> I am interested in finding decontamination
> procedures for  diphtheria toxin, tetanus toxin and
> C. perfringens toxin.  Can anyone help me with this?
>
>                                         Thanks J.G.

	JG

	Most vaccine manufacturers of the clostridials use formaldehyde, but
are rather secretive about the amount of formaldehyde, the temperature
of incubation and the time of incubation. You could try Science Citation
under PD Walker of about 15 years ago - he is ex-Wellcome Biotech, I
think he may have published a couple of papers that had de-toxification
conditions present.
	You didn't mention the background. Are you talking about a pure protein
or detoxification of a 'bug soup'. Remember the perfringes group make
more than one toxin and they don't all detoxify the same. tetanus toxin
actually takes a fair bit of detoxifying too. Do you have a good test
for telling if you got your material detoxified?

Mike