IUBio

Meningitis

Andy yruNOSPAM at mindless.com
Tue Jul 14 06:58:55 EST 1998

Glen (and others)
Thanks for your reply!
I should have made my question more specific.
I am well aware that any bacteria in CSF is significant (barring
contaminants).
However, what I need to know is that when a patient has a bacterial
meningitis, what level of bacteria would one expect to find!
It appears that this question has not been answered in many text books as any
quantity is considered significant!
Does anyone know the answer?
I remember looking at CSF and sometimes one could see on a wet prep bacteria!
So the number can be significant! However, that may just be some cases.
Are there bacterial meningitis cases where bacteria would be virtually
undetectable by microscopy?

Andy