IUBio

Amp.res.Gram"-"Bacs without a plasmid?

Lab.1 bjarte.furnes at mbi.uib.no
Fri Jul 10 11:48:22 EST 1998

I was searching for a plasmid in bacteria isolated from mice feces.
Therefore I diluted feces and spread them on  LB plates containing
Ampicillin. I got some colonies, but I didn`t get any amplification
product using whole bacteria in a PCR with primers for the Amp.-gene.

I tested the bacs on LB Amp. plates with Aztreonam discs, no growing
near discs, so only Gramneg. bacs....Are there any Gramn. bacs Amp.
resistent without a plasmid or are there other Genes making resistent
than the betaLactamase Gene from pBR322 or are there inhibitors of PCR
in Enterobacteriaceae or is a 10min 95C -step not sufficient to lyse the
bacs....

TIA,

Chris