IUBio

FDA Salmonella

Travis Thayer ez060251 at mailbox.ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 8 13:01:32 EST 1998

	I have a question about why the FDA Bacteriological Analytical
Manual has lactose broth as a first enrichment step in isolation of
Salmonella from foods (see BAM 1992 & 1995 update under Salmonella:"
Preparation of Foods for Isolation of Salmonella").  It seems to me that
this would be counterproductive in looking for Salmonella.  I'm kind of
thinking that maybe it's a case of the government being set in their ways
and not wanting to update.  Does anyone have any idea about this, or a
valid reason why they would do this?
Thanks,
Travis Thayer