IUBio

Food borne E. coli

outbreak outbreakinc at email.msn.com
Wed Jul 1 20:22:20 EST 1998

I don't believe that stomach acid provides a "barrier" to E. coli, at least
not with respect to E. coli 0157:H7.  Infection produces it most severe
abnormailities in the ascending and tranverse colon, and there finds
receptors to which to attach and release vero-toxins.
David Kafkewitz , edu at andromeda.rutgers.edu <"kafkwtz"@andromeda.rutgers>