Aging of cells stopped?

Marc Roussel roussel at henri.chem.uleth.ca
Fri Jan 23 12:41:26 EST 1998

Orlog wrote:
> AJ>Last week I heard that researchers found a way to stop the aging of
> AJ>cells and of creatures. Can someone please explain to somebody who
> AJ>is not an expert in this field how aging works and how they have
> AJ>stopped it? Please answer to aj at ithe.rwth-aachen.de
>
>        Really? Why is it being kept so quiet?

My, aren't we paranoid?  It's not being kept quiet at all.  It was all
over the news last week, print and broadcast.  I'm not a molecular
biologist, but I understand that the aging of cells (which may not be
the same thing as the aging of a multicellular organism) has something
to do with degradation of the telomeres.  Add a little telomerase and
the aging process is reversed.  There are implications for cancer
therapy:  Cancer cells often seem to be immune to the aging process,
which is part of the reason they are so hard to destroy.  Therapeutic
use of telomerase inhibitors might make some cancers easier to treat.

				Marc R. Roussel
				(roussel at uleth.ca)
				University of Lethbridge