95 or NT on a lab computer

Don Walthers walt9693 at uidaho.edu
Wed Jan 21 18:44:15 EST 1998

We're about to purchase a new computer for the lab and just wanted some
opinions on using Windows95 vs WindowsNT. It will mainly be a general
purpose computer running Office, Statistica, Photoshop and some sort of
DNA/protein analysis software. The computer may also act as a server for
sequence data but won't be heavily accessed. The only computer literate
person in the lab is very familiar with 95 but never used NT. We also
haven't looked at the DNA/protein software yet so don't know if some of the
better packages are specific for NT. Are we better off just getting 95 and
worrying about NT as a future upgrade. The system will be around a 200MHz
Pentium or Pentium II with 64 MB ram. Thanks for your opinoins.

--
Don Walthers
Microbiology & Biochemistry