Q: growing bacteria in a synchronised fashion

Guy Tremblay tremblgu at medcn.umontreal.ca
Wed Jan 21 15:37:32 EST 1998

Hi,

I am growing a certain number of tubes of bacteria. I have to induce a
plasmid in those cells at a certain OD and collect them at an other one.
Since I induce very early (0.15 OD600), it is very difficult to induce
at the right time. In order to improve my method, I try to have my
bacteria at about the same OD so that I have less OD readings to do.

In order to synchronise my cultures, I measure the OD of a dilution of
an o/n culture and strongly centrifuge my o/n bacteria to break
bacterial
clusters. This ensures that I will start my culture with
about the same quantity of bacteria in each tube.

Problem: Even taking these precautions, the bacteria have relatively
different ODs after about 2hrs culture and it reduces the quality of my
results.

Question: Is there a simple way I could synchronize my cultures so that
I can induce all of them at the same OD/time?

Hope someone has the solution because I am quite angry against my
undisciplined bacteria! Thanks in advance.

Guy  Tremblay
tremblgu at magellan.umontreal.ca