Need SciFair topic ideas on molds

Jim Eilers jreilers at interaccess.com
Tue Jan 20 18:05:05 EST 1998

May we assume your student must conduct an experiment? not just
perform a demonstration?

Sounds like an opportunity to to test for bacterial inhibitors.

Grow a few molds on bread or orange peels.

Innoculate them onto an agar plate.

Take some milk from the fridge and put just enough on the agar surface
to cover (the milk will be clean, but not sterile).

Incubation can be at room temp .... maybe a few days rather than 48
hours as in an incubator.

Does the mold source correlate to any inhibition of growth, etc, etc.

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:36:35 -0500, Michael George
<110247.134 at CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>Need SciFair topic ideas on molds
>

>I am looking for ideas for science fair topics to
>inspire a middle school (gr6) student who wishes to do a
>project on mold but can't come up with anything beyond
>the basic "how long before bread molds" or "which things
>mold faster". He needs a project a step up from this.
>

>If you have any ideas to share or books/articles/websites
>to reference it would be most helpful.
>

>Please email me directly in addition to posting as it is
>difficult for me to get to the newsgroup due to limited
>usenet access.
>

>Thanks in advance for your help,
>Michael   110247.134 at compuserve.com
>

>--