Cloning people = Junk Science

Cormac Shaw cshaw at ollamh.ucd.ie
Mon Jan 19 15:40:20 EST 1998

If anyone would care to read a more informed, factually accurate
piece, devoid of name calling, on Dr. Richard Seed's extraordinary proposals
to clone humans, they could do worse than to point their web browsers
to an article in The Irish Times (Monday, 19th Jan) by Dr. William
Neville of the Department of Biochemistry, University College, Cork.
In it he expresses the concerns that most people, both inside and
outside the scientific community have about the recent announcement
and explains why it is unlikely to be carried through in any case.

The article can be found at:
http://www.irish-times.com/irish-times/paper/1998/0119/fea4.html

Cheers,
Cormac.

On 17 Jan 98 at 10:58, harryusa <harryusa at mcs.com> wrote:

The Cloning Dilemma by HarryUSA (e-mail: harryusa at mcs.com)

>... Some researchers
>have used this knowledge of genetics to find treatments for diseases
>like cancer and AIDS. Others have used this knowledge to put on a sort
>of SCI-FI freak show and grab headlines by cloning sheep.
 [Snip]
>In other words, in the near future if cloning is legal, I will be able to
>buy a woman's unfertilized egg and have my own genetic material placed
>into it. The egg would be placed into a woman's womb and nine months
>later, I would have a physical duplicate of myself. The newborn would
>look exactly as I did back when I was a baby and continue to grow up
>looking like me. Its hair, eyes, skin, and voice would all be the same
>as mine.
 [Snip]
>Another clown in the scientific community, a quack who lives in
>Riverside Illinois, less than a mile from my house, wants to use his
>knowledge of genetics to clone human beings. His name, ironically, is
>Dick Seed. [Big snip] Seed  claims that cloning will allow infertile couples
>to produce children.
>[His] only concern is to grab a few headlines and a place in history as
>the first asshole to produce a human clone.
 [Snip]
>"Clone organs, not people!" Is the slogan I stand by.
 [Snip]