Human urine normal flora -Reply

Shad Turner swturner at unixg.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 19 00:19:41 EST 1998

Would these normal flora bacteria remain viable in urine over time?

Alan Junkins (junkinsa at SMTPGW2.MUSC.EDU) wrote:
: Normal human urine is sterile when it's in the bladder.  But as
: it passes through the urethra it will pick up some normal flora.
:  These are usually skin and intestinal bugs that make their
: way through the urethral opening, guys like
: coagulase-negative staph, Corynebacterium, enterics, and
: anaerobes such as Bacteroides and Propionibacterium.  So
: urine that has been passed would be expected to have fairly
: low numbers (less than 10,000 CFU/ml) of these bugs.  The
: original question then becomes are Nitrobacter and
: Nitrosomonas included among those.  To that I can't really
: speak intelligently, but I would be very surprised if they were
: "normal" flora since they seem to me to be more dirt and
: water bugs.  Perhaps transient flora once in a blue moon.

: Alan D. Junkins, Ph.D.
: Assoc Prof, Medical Laboratory Sciences
: Medical University of South Carolina
: junkinsa at musc.edu
: http://www.musc.edu/mls/