UV Radiation

Shaun a9660198 at wlv.ac.uk
Sun Aug 23 16:23:45 EST 1998

I recently read an article on UVC’s, (Ultra Violet Clarifier), as used for
ponds.  The article said, "UV light has the effect of both disrupting the
algal cell structure and causing the damaged cells to clump together".  The
UV light used in the clarifier emits at 240-280nm and would cause DNA damage
to the cells, (T-T Dimers etc).  What I can’t understand is how the UV damage
brings about the cell clumping?

If someone could suggest/explain a mechanism regarding the cell clumping, I
would be much appreciated.

Yours faithfully

Shaun Christopher Jones