Mould-yeast dimorphism

Karl Roberts kr1 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Wed Aug 19 07:27:22 EST 1998

Jonathan,
The dimorphism you refer to has to do with the morphology (form) that a
mold takes given the specific environment in which it is found. A good
example of a dimorphic mold pathogen is Histoplasma capsulatum. This
fungus is a yeast at 37 C, but a mold at 20-25 C. It is generally
associated with avian carriers such as pigeons and blackbirds, grows in
dung as a mold and is transmitted as spores and dry dung become
particulate matter picked up by air currents. I don't know if this is a
common fungal pathogen in the UK, but is does infect people in the
Southeastern United States. I hope this helps a bit. I know others will
send you more.
Karl J. Roberts, Ph.D.
PGCC
USA