Frederick W. Hyde fredhyde at citilink.com
Thu Jul 3 01:24:25 EST 1997

max at gte.net wrote:
> Yersinia wrote:
> I think you are talking about Petrifilm, available from 3M. You would
> need to use a liquid sample, about 1 mL. It is not EPA approved if you
> are doing samples for water treatment or for the FDA, I have used the
> film for doing a lot of water sample of our water processing equipment.
> But if it is something that you are testing that is regulated, I wouldn't
> recommend it.  It is pretty easy to use. The coliform colonies on the
> endo show up as pink with gas and the total count on aerobic plates show
> up as red colonies.

I worked on this stuff for a while during my stint at 3M. Was validated
for some use in poultry bioburdens in 1986 or so in place of standard
Petri plates. Aavailable are a standard methods-type product with TTC in
it, and a VRB=type plate for coliforms. There are some improvements
coming at some point, not sure what they are or when they'll be


More information about the Microbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net