IUBio

"plastic" loops vs anaerobes

Daniel Larrimore dlarrimo at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 13 19:04:37 EST 1997

rockbugs at aol.com wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>      I am looking for scientific references to back up a coworker's
> assertion that "plastic" disposable loops are "cidal" for anaerobes. She
> is unable to show me the documentation - just claims that she "read it
> somewhere a few years ago". I think this is a load of hooey, and would
> like to see the journal article or manufacturer's study for myself. In  my
> previous position, we used these "name brand" loops in the glove box
> without any problems at all. Has anyone seen an article like this? Can
> anyone point me to a good search engine or website for this? Thanks much.
>
> Kathy Sherlock, MT(ASCP)

I work in an industrial lab where we get C. sporogenes preserved on
plastic loops and have never had any trouble whatsoever getting it to
grow.  Also, we get C. sporogenes preserved in a product know as Quanti
Cults and they are in small plastic tubes.  Again we have had no trouble
at all.

						Dan Larrimore