IUBio

catalase neg staph?

Gary Lum glum at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 10 05:11:49 EST 1997

san3352 at aol.com wrote:

> Did you test for S. agalactiae?  My Micro Lab book says S. agalactiae is a
> group B strep, Catlase neg., beta hemolysis.  It recommends a CAMP test:
> pos, or hippurate hydrolysis: pos.  Also says S. agalactiae is not
> (usually) sensitive to bacitracin and is resistant to SXT.  It is found in
> the genital and intestinal tracts of humans.
>
> Hope this is helpful.  I just finished an undergrad Micro course.

Big problem with your suggestion is that this bacterium in question is
coagulase and thermonuclease positive which means is could be _Staph.
aureus_ or _Staph. intermedius_ (veterinary isolates).  The positive
pyrrolidonyl arylamidase points to the later.  The big problem is the
catalase.  I am assuming the QC on the hydrogen peroxide (3%) is okay.
The other option is _Staph. aureus_ subsp. _anaerobius_ which is
catalase negative and tube coagulase and thermonuclease positive.  This
subspecies should be clumping factor negative.  I'd be interested in
that result.

Gary

Dr Gary Lum
Director of Microbiology
Royal Darwin Hospital

Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
Meet me at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glum/index.html
E-mail me at glum at ozemail.com.au or gary.lum at nt.gov.au