IUBio

The Long Terms Effects of Evolution...Take a Chance

Paul Andrew King paul at nospam.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 13:10:18 EST 1997

In article <674p1d$7k4 at examiner.concentric.net>,
"Jabriol" <jabriol at cris.com> wrote:

>so if we get rid..uh.. isolate every hemophiliac in the world, and
>casra...uh
>nuterize them.. would we remove the defective gene?

The word you want is sterilise - since females can also carry the gene.
(Does anyone else get the impression that "jabriol" is 13 or younger ?).

If the gene is recessive (and most harmful ones are) then you would  need
to sterilise everyone *carrying* the gene - not just those with
haemophilia.

And *that* wouldn't guarantee that haemophilia was gone forever.  A similar
mutation might occur and the whole thing would start again.

Now the interesting thing is that science does not say that you *should* do
such a thing.  The moral question of whether the elimination of haemophilia
is worth such a massive invasion of people's lives is simply *not* a
scientific issue.  And *that* is the point that you - and Nando - keep
missing.

--
"Hullo clouds, hullo sky, hullo pile of severed human heads," said Major
Basil Fotherington-Thomas.

Replace "nospam" with "morat" to reply

Paul K.