IUBio

mic for staph. aureus using vancomycin

Gary Lum glum at ozemail.com.au
Mon Dec 8 06:21:23 EST 1997

Angeli Ereso Bajit wrote:

> I'm researching for my senior project and I could not find any references
> that has information on MIC of MRSA to vancomycin.  Also does anybody know
> a Staph. aureus strain that is penicillin resistant and where to get it?

If you want a penicillin resistant _Staphylococcus aureus_ just swab
yourself and you'll probably come up with one.  Failing that see your
local friendly clinical microbiologist who may provide you with an
appropriate ATCC strain (I'm at home, can't remember the number), or a
clinical isolate provided you can guarantee the safe use of the isolate.

If you want a VISA, GISA, VRSA, or GRSA then I wouldn't let you near
it.  They should be restricted access only.

Regards

Gary

Dr Gary Lum
Director of Microbiology and Pathology
Royal Darwin Hospital

Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
Meet me at http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glum/
Come and visit http://www.ozemail.com.au/~agar
E-mail me at mailto:glum at ozemail.com.au