IUBio

Bradyrhizobium japonicum

Mounir Izallalen mounir at rsvs.ulaval.ca
Tue Dec 2 01:05:43 EST 1997

On 28 Nov 1997 icurkovic at HWCN.ORG wrote:

> I have narrowed it down to 2 choices: Bradyrhizobium japonicum and
> Serratia marcescens. I am pretty sure it is the latter, but I want to know
> if someone could answer a question for me: Are most colonies of B.
> japonicum red or white?

On solid media amended with red congo, B. japonicum is white.

> I am also in some dire need of some biochemical test results for this
> species...indole test, urea, lead acetate, Vogues Proskauer & methyl red
> test. Bergey's Manual of Bacteriology has been pretty useless for this
> species.

Physiological characterization
Growth on Yeast extract + mannitol is slow with generation time 5-10H
No growth on sucrose as sole carbone source
Growth on organic acids as C-source
Increase of pH in the medium with sugars (pentoses) as C-source
Colonies stained with congo-red are whites.
No growth on media with 2% NaCl
Enhanced growth with biotin
Nitrate respiration

catalase +
Oxidase +
Urese +
Nitrate reduction +
Tolerance of pH4.5
No tolerace of pH 9.0

And the best test is nodulaion of soybean (Glycine max, G. soya)

Hope this help

Mounir Izallalen
Recherche en Sc. de la vie et de la Sante
Pavillon C. E. Marchand
Universite Laval, Ste-Foy
Qc, G1K 7P4 CANADA
Tel(418) 656-2131 ext.6785