IUBio

Isolation of spores

Doug Stemke dstemke at umabnet.ab.umd.edu
Mon Jul 29 17:51:54 EST 1996

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, T. Reid wrote:

> Hi.  I have already posted this to the mycology group but thought I might hit a bigger
> audience within this group.  Does anyone know of a reasonable method to isolate intact
> fungal spores from soil samples?   I am looking for a non-culture method; filtration,
> centrifugation, etc.  I am specifically interested in Histoplasma
> capsulatum.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Reid
> Cincinnati, Ohio

Nasty organism!  For Streptomyces we occasionally would pass orgaisms
through sterile cotton in a syringe.  It worked rather nicely to separate
spores from vegatative cells.  I suppose it *might* work with true fungi.

Hope this helps.

Douglas Stemke
Biological Process Technology Institute
University of Minnesota