IUBio

Taxonomy

Una Smith una at tilapia.biology.yale.edu
Sat Jul 27 18:04:09 EST 1996

David R. Boone <boone at ese.ogi.edu> wrote:

>... my advice is to just call it Halomonas marina.

I'm no expert on the organisms in question, but I would suggest the
following:  ask people in your field who are interested in taxonomy
of these groups what they think.  Decide which name you prefer and
use it in your paper.  *Also* mention the alternate name in the
abstract, first paragraph, or list of added keywords.  It will take
everyone a while to become aware of the new name, and meanwhile you
want to ensure that your article gets the best possible indexing in
bibliographic search databases.