IUBio

Taxonomy

richard richardz at cy-net.net
Tue Jul 23 15:06:27 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.960716143033.273572A-100000 at musca.unm.edu>, lkista at UNM.EDU (Linnea Ista) says:

>Hi everyone!
>
>I have a question concerning taxonomy. I have just found out that the
>organism (Deleya marina) I am working on  has been "unified" into another
>genus. This is according to the April issue of Int. J. Sys. Bacteriol. at
>least. Does this one citation mean that the name has been changed or
>should I wait until it is changed at ATCC or somewhere until I start
>calling it by its new name in publications. I am a little hesitant to
>change right away.
>If anyone could help, I would appreciate it!
>Thanks!
>Linnea

I just tried to find an answer for you by looking at the 1990 Revision
of the International Code of Nomenclature of Bacteria.  Frankly,
it is so 'legalistic' that I find it not too helpful. It would appear
that Rules 24a 24b and 33b are the controlling ones but I
can not really understand these rules.

 While I would think it is perfectly OK to use the new generic
 designation and new specific epithet, I am not 100% certain. There is
an approved list that is supposedly published once  a decade and I am
 not certain if publication in IJSB is the sole requirement for a name
change to appear on the revised list of

Your best bet would be to try to contact someone with the Bergey's
Foundation which I think is currently housed at Michigan State U.
Give their Micro Department a call and see if you can find John Holt.
I don't know if he is retired now or not.  I have not seen him for a
few years.  He was an editor of Bergey's and
Index Bergeyana.

 John's a good guy, one of my favorite
profs a million years ago, and is someone who can help you out.