IUBio

beta-lactamase: how to define a new enzyme

lksiu lksiu at hkucc.hku.hk
Tue Jul 23 10:37:51 EST 1996

I am a postgraduate student. I am working with the beta-lactamase research.
Now I have got a problem in naming a beta-lactamase. I have sequenced a lactamase gene.
I found that there is a point mutation within the lactamse gene encoded region.
Amino change form arg to gly was obtained. However, no change of isoelectric focusing
point to the parental enzyme was found. Substrate and inhibition profile was also
similar to the parental enzyme. Thus, could I call this gene as the parental gene?
If I cannot call this gene as the parental beta-lactamase then how to name this
mutated gene?
Thanks for helping
My E.mail : krisiu at hkusua.hku.hk