IUBio

burkholderiacepacia

Paul Hargreaves Paul_Hargreaves at hargre.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 19 14:35:42 EST 1996

>> jackie at newphls.demon.co.uk (Jackie Raybould) wrote in article
><837517214.7646.0 at newphls.demon.co.uk>...
>>
>> We are haveing problems with the isolation and identification of
>> Burkholderia cepacia especially in cystic fibrosis patients awaiting
>> lung transplants.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas??
>>

>> ANNE BARRETT
>> SENIOR SCIENTIFIC OFFICER
>> REGIONAL CENTRE FOR MYCOBACTERIOLOGY
>> NEWCASTLE PUBLIC HEALTH LABORATORY.
>> abarrett at newphls.demon.co.uk

Is the problem you are having with isolation to do with the organism not
growing?  If so, it may be in a non culturable phase which of course makes
identification difficult.  A good starting reference to non culturable micro-
organisms is: Phylogenetic Identification and In Situ Detection of Individual
Microbial Cells without Cultivation.  Microbiological Reviews, March 1995, p
143-169.  This describes identification of causative micro-organisms of
Whipple's disease and bacillary angiomatosis by 16S rDNA analysis.  To quote
from the paper "Molecular techniques will probably become routine methods not
only for the detection of nonculturable pathogens but also for those cases in
which they allow more rapid diagnosis than conventional cultivation techniques"
Hope this is of interest.
--
Paul Hargreaves
Paul_Hargreaves at hargre.demon.co.uk