IUBio

Seeking for mycobacterium culturing

Gary Lum glum at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jul 10 05:16:28 EST 1996

Dr. Hosam ElDin Mahmod ElBahaie wrote:
>         May any one thankfully provide me with a rapid method to cuture
> mycobacterium, especially TB, as I'm going to begin a study which
> compare between difference methods of cultring the TB.There are some systems available, which while not rapid, are quicker than conventional means.  Becton
Dickinson are producing a system called MGIT which looks good, they will also release next year an automated
version which will be similar to their other excellent blood culture instruments (in addition it will do
susceptibility testing).

Make sure you get well versed in lab safety otherwise you'll regret ever getting in to it.

Spend the money to make it safe, before you muck around too much.

Gary Lum
Director of Microbiology
Royal Darwin Hospital
--