IUBio

Help ID Worm (?)

David Yi truemonk at csulb.edu
Tue Jul 2 13:17:36 EST 1996

Dear Microbiologists:

	Recently on a hiking trip I came across a strange creature.
Because I was walking during the night, under the full moon, a single
point of highly luminescent green caught my eye. Upon closer inspection,
it looked like a segmented seed or a light orange colored larva of some
kind, but it had two bright strips of glowing green one one end.
	Has anyone seen anything like this before? Why, from the point of
evolution, would a larva be luminescent? Wouldn't it be dangerous? Are
things like this common? Have I in fact found something new?

Sincerely,
TM