how to separate spores from vegetative cells?

Chris Michiels chris.michiels at agr.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Sep 26 07:26:18 EST 1995

We want to prepare spore suspensions of Bacillus subtilis that are
(virtually) free of vegetative cells. Since we want to study spore
germination, the method should not interfere with germination. For
instance, we do not want to use heat or lysozyme to kill the vegetative
cells, because these treatments can activate the spores.
Is density gradient centrifugation a possibility?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris Michiels
Lab. Food Microbiology
K.U. Leuven