IUBio

E. coli?

CAROLYN J. LOCY carolynj at aztec.asu.edu
Mon Oct 16 14:44:58 EST 1995

I would venture to guess that most hospital lab microbiologists
can tell a fair number of bugs by scent alone, i.e. Haemophilus
has a distinctive "wet mouse" scent, Streps "buttered popcorn",
Pseudomonas aeruginosa "grapey".  One can usually guess some of
the others by scent, including Morganella, Providencia, Proteus
before it begins its distinctive swarming.

We have a microbiologist who does mostly stool cultures and works
3-4 days a week and he can pick the scent of Shigella out of the
variety of mixed flora on stool culture plates.  When he says
there is Shigella in the culture, it's only a matter of time
until he gets it isolated and identified....

Carolyn