IUBio

P. acne enumeration techniques?

Mark S. Strom strom at listeria.nwfsc.noaa.gov
Fri Oct 13 13:05:10 EST 1995

melissalen at aol.com (MelissaLen) wrote:
>Good Evening Follow Microbiologists,
>
>I am currently working on a project to determine the concentration of P.
>acne on the skin before and after washing.  I have tried Rodac plates with
>Reinforced Clostridial Agar but all my plates were TNTC.  I have also done
>some swabbing with PBS but it is hard to get a known area without a
>template that may get contaminant.  I also need to know if there is quick
>and easy techniques for ID P.acne.  I have ordered the bacteriophage to it
>but have not start that part yet.

Boy does this bring back memories......

I suggest you do a serious literature review on skin microflora,
especially between the years 1976-1985.  There's a lot of stuff that
was published on persistence of P. acnes and others, over time, after
washing, etc.  This includes culturing techniques and quantitation.

One author to look up is Charles A. Evans, from the University of
Washington, who did a lot of this.  Here's a few to start with:

Evans, C. A., and M. S. Strom.  1982.  Eight year persistence of
individual differences in the bacterial flora of the forehead. J.
Invest. Dermatol.  79:  51-52.