IUBio

Clone gene by PCR

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Wed Nov 1 12:29:39 EST 1995

dtyyu at ucla.edu (David Tak Yan Yu) writes:

> I have been able to clone eukaryotic genes by RT-PCR for expression.  Can I
> clone a bacterial gene using the bacterial DNA as template?

The only thing you have to watch out for, as far as I know, is
possible prokaryotic DNA sequences contaminating the Taq
polymerase.  If you put lots of the target DNA into the
amplification, keep to low cycle numbers, and do your
no-template controls it should be OK.
Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295