Are there 4 ways of horizontal gene transfer?

John Gosink gosink at u.washington.edu
Sat Jul 30 17:32:44 EST 1994

Hi,
	     Several years ago while studying for my oral exams I ran across an
article that stated that there may be a fourth major way by which some
bacteria (archea) can exchange DNA, ie.:

     1) Transformation
     2) Transduction (both general and specific)
     3) Conjugation
     4) Rhodofection (or rhodocapsulation)???

I do not recall much about the article except that the author said that
some types of bacteria (either Rhodobacteria or Rhodococcus I don't
remember which) are able shed small segments of DNA (plasmids?) which are
enclosed in a lipid membrane.  Has anyone heard of this sort of phenomenon?
 Perhaps I fell asleep while studying and just dreamt that I read it?   The
people in my lab think I'm nuts :-)    Thanks in advance.

                             -John