tuberculosis in South America

Jean-Pierre Herveg herveg at bian.ucl.ac.be
Wed Jul 20 03:18:30 EST 1994

Tuberculosis was PCR diagnosed in a precolumbian peruvian mummy (Salo, W.L
et al. in PNAS of the USA: 1994 91: 2091 - 2094).
I am interested in human population migrations and especially in the study
of contacts between South American and other populations using
epidemiology.
So I have some questions.
(1) Could the DNA of such a bacillus be typed by PCR using the DNA
polymorphism described for example by Groenen, P.M.A. et al. (Molecular
Microbiology:1993)5,  10: 1057 - 1065) and be compared with the one of
animal and humans?
(2) Could the mummy got the bacillus from a precolumbian animal?
(3) Could we imagine that the bacillus was brought from Asia through the
Bering Thousands of years ago?

Thanks for help

Jean-Pierre Herveg
HERVEG at BIAN.UCL.AC.BE