giardia

Charles N. Haas HaasCN at Dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Thu Jul 14 07:04:01 EST 1994

In article <3016ug$ile at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
mliau at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Alvin K Liau) wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         Hope that this is the right place to do this.
> Why does iodine kill giardia while chlorine doesn't?
> (Asking from a backpackers viewpoint).

Both chlorine and iodine (as well as bromine) have disinfecting activity
against Giardia.  It is merely a matter of kinetics.  In fact I am not
really aware of any data (perhaps someone can pose a reference) that shows
that iodine is that much better than chlorine.

from the keyboard of:         Charles N. Haas:LD Betz Professor of Environmental Engineering
Drexel University:::Philadelphia, PA 19104
HaasCN at Dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu         OWNER: ENVENG-L at TEMPLEVM.BITNET
[INSERT USUAL DISCLAIMER HERE]