End of microbiology at UCB

George W. Chang changlab at nature.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 7 20:32:19 EST 1994

In article <2vd5mv$35g at agate.berkeley.edu>, sarahsh at soda.berkeley.edu
(Sarah Shimer) wrote:

> I just wanted to say that at UC Berkeley, the undergraduate program
> in microbiology is being "phased out."  They are still offering a
> course in the fall, but most of the other courses are being taught in
> the School of Public Health and not the Molecular and Cell Biology
> Department, where most other biology is at Berkeley................
...........(deleted)........................................

Sarah and Rick,
          I am also annoyed and disturbed by the de-emphasis in
microbiology at Berkeley.  However I would like to point out that
microbiology is not dead on the campus; it's just invisible.
          There are microbiologists all over campus.  I teach food
microbiology in the College of Natural Resources, and I occassionally help
out with the microbiology courses in MCB.  There is also soil microbiology
and lots of plant pathology in this college.  In the College of
Engineering there some very good environmental microbiologists, and also
at least one microbiologist in the College of Chemistry.
           In addition to teaching lots of courses, all of us do research,
and I suspect that most of us involve undergrads in our research
programs.  Regardless of what degree these students get, they get lots of
experience with the microbes.
            Drop in and visit with any of us!  Talk with our undergrads.
Help us to make our discipline less invisible!

Best regards,
George