PCR

Miriam de Faria Lemos mdflemos at FOX.CCE.USP.BR
Tue Jul 5 19:36:18 EST 1994

Dear all
I work with Streptomyces, and I have amplified a fragment of genomic DNA
in order to obtain a probe.( I intend to study the distribution of
Polyketide biosynthesis pathways in Actinomyces isolates from soil.) To
improve an amplification reaction with PCR, I have used a 10%
concentration DMSO. With this concentration, significantly more product
is obtained and the specificity is improved. Can you explain me this
mechanism at molecular level? If DMSO is a Polymerase inhibitor, why can
it to give high yields?
Thanks a lot
Miriam de F. Lemos