End of microbiology at UCB

Sarah Shimer sarahsh at soda.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 5 21:42:39 EST 1994

I just wanted to say that at UC Berkeley, the undergraduate program
in microbiology is being "phased out."  They are still offering a
course in the fall, but most of the other courses are being taught in
the School of Public Health and not the Molecular and Cell Biology
Department, where most other biology is at Berkeley. When I first
started at Cal, there even used to be a lab in Microbiology. I am not
sure how often it is offered, however. I know that the undergraduates
graduating this May in Microbiology numbered under ten, out of a 500+
student program.In addition, most of the professors who essentially
do research in microbiology, have been retitled under the biochemistry
or molecular biology sub-department.
What do you think of that?
Sarah