Holiday question: Eggnog(EtOH) and Salmonella (fwd)

Dave Roberts dmr at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 04:16:25 EST 1994

> WICKHAM,JOHN (jwickham at aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu) wrote:
> : Does anyone know what approximate concentration of EtOH would have
> : bacteriostatic and/or bacteriocidal activity (I'm presuming the EtOH
> : concentration would likely have similair activity against most enteric
> : species).
>
> From: ldemczuk at uoguelph.ca (Lisa Demczuk)
> The most effective Ethanol concentration to kill enterics is 70% in water.

Now that's what I call Christmas Spirit!  Don't forget that most yeasts
give up at about 12% alcohol and a few special strains can get up in
the 18% range.  I think that this would be a far more civilised drink.....

Cheers,    Dave
--
Dr D.McL. Roberts               Tel: +44 (0)171 938 8790
Dept. Zoology,                  Fax: +44 (0)171 938 9158
Cromwell Road,                  Internet: dmr at nhm.ac.uk
London              SW7 5BD
Great Britain