Searching for E. coli

Richard heath at mbcf.stjude.org
Fri Dec 2 13:13:27 EST 1994

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.941201093349.6468A-100000 at cnj.digex.net>, mintz at CNJ.DIGEX.NET (Cliff Mintz) writes:
> 	I am interested in obtaining E. coli strains GS58 and OV2.  Both
> strains were originally constructed in W.D. Donachie's laboratory.  If
> anyone has these strains or an address/location/telephone number for Dr.
> Donachie, please contact me.  In a recent paper, Dr K.J. Begg was also
> mentioned as a source for GS58.  Any info. on Dr. Begg would also be
> appreciated.
> 		Thanks for your help!
> 			Cliff Mintz
> 			mintz at cnj.digex.com

A quick search of the CGSC database on the gopher:

Type=1
Name=E. coli Genetic Stock Center at Yale University
Path=
Host=cgsc.biology.yale.edu
Port=70

pulled up OV2, but not GS58.  Write to Barbara Bachmann at the CGSC, and she
will send you the strain.

OV2 CGSC#7209 W.D.Donachie (1k)
 OV2 CGSC#7209 W.D.Donachie
Name: OV2
Source: W.D.Donachie
Sex: F-
Genotype:  ara-38(Am), leu-87, lacZ125(Am), tsx-465(Am), galK42(Am),
        galE54, LAM-, tyrT77(AS), tyrT181(ts,AS), trp-49(Am),
        his-224, thyA756, relA1, spoT1, ilv-693, deo-84
Comments
  * Replacement for CGSC 6979
  * deo-84 is a mutation in either {\it deoB} or {\it deoC}.
  * galK42(Am) is Brenner's {\it gal}$^{-}$$_{U42am}$.
  * lacZ125(Am) is the amber mutation from strain CA274 of S.
        Brenner.  It was formerly called {\it lac$^{-}_{125am}$} by
        Brenner.
  * trp-49(Am) is the amber mutation formerly called  {\it
        trp}$^{-}_{8am}$ by Brenner.
  * tyrT181(ts,AS) was formerly called supF181
  * tyrT77(AS) was formerly called supF77
  * Am = amber (UAG) mutation, AS = amber (UAG) suppressor, ts =Temperature
Sensitive