Heavy metals removal

Matthew Higgins higgins at bev.net
Mon Aug 1 20:00:17 EST 1994

In article <318p55$n2p at spruce.cic.net>, jselegea at cedar.cic.net (Jim
Selegean) wrote:

> I am trying to write a paper on how microorganisms can be used to remove
> heavy metals from water, sewage, soil, etc. and I'm having trouble
> finding material on it.  It seems everyone out there is trying to degrade
> an organic compound.  I know there has got to be microbial techniques for
> heavy metal removal/concentration.
>
> Any leads would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks.....jIM Selegean <jselegea at great-lakes.net>

This is the first time I've used or responded to this system, hopefully
this data will make it.  I've done some work with heavy metal removal and
partitioning in soils and aquatic environments.  Here is a partial list of
some
references I have.  Good luck.

Brown, M. J. and J. N. Lester.  1979.  Metal Removal in Activated Sludge:
The Role of Bacterial Extracellular Polymers.  Wat. Res.  13, 817-837.

Brown, M. J. and J. N. Lester.  1982.  Role of Bacterial Extracellular
Polymers in Metal Uptake in Pure Bacterial Culture and Activated Sludge-II.
 Wat. Res.  16, 1549-1560.

Cheng, M.H., J.W. Patterson, and R.A. Minear.  1975.  Heavy metals uptake
by activated sludge.  Journ. Wat. Poll. Control Fed., 47, 362.

Fristoe, B.R. and P.O. Nelson.  1983.  Equilibrium Chemical Modeling of
Heavy Metals in Activated Sludge.  Wat. Res., 17, 771.

Geesey, G. G. and L. Jang.  1989.  Interactions Between Metal Ions and
Capsular Polymers.  In Metal Ions and Bacteria.  Ed. by Beveridge and
Doyle.  John Wiley and Sons, Inc.  NY.

Gould, M.S. and E.J. Genetelli.  1978a.  Heavy metal complexation behavior
in anaerobically digested sludges.  Wat. Res., 12, 505.

Gould, M.S. and E.J. Genetelli.  1978b.  The effect of methylation and
hydrogen ion concentration on heavy metal binding by anaerobically digested
sludges.  Wat. Res., 12, 889.

Jellinek, H.H.G. and S.P. Sangal.  1972.  Complexation of Metal Ions with
Natural Polyelectrolytes (Removal and Recovery of Metal Ions from Polluted
Waters).  Wat. Res., 6, 305.

Minear, R.A. et al.  (1981).  Data Base for Influent Heavy Metals in
Publicly Owned Treatment Works.  U.S EPA, Grant No. R805606-01.

Morel and Hering.  1993.  Principles and Applications of Aquatic Chemistry.

Nelson, P.O., A.K. Chung, and M.C. Hudson.  1981.  Factors affecting the
fate of heavy metals in the activated sludge process.  Journ. Wat. Poll.
Control Fed., 53, 1323.

Pankow, J.F.  1991.  Aquatic Chemistry Concepts.  Lewis Publishers,
Chelsea, Michigan.

Petrasek, A.C., Jr., and I.J. Kugelman.  (1983).  Metals removals and
partitioning in conventional wastewater treatment plants.  Journ. Wat.
Poll. Control Fed., 55, 1184.

Rudd, T., R.M. Sterritt, and J.N. Lester.  1984a.  Complexation of heavy
metals by extracellular polymers in the activated sludge process.  Journ.
Wat. Poll. Control Fed., 54, 1260.

Rudd, T., R.M. Sterritt, and J.N. Lester.  1984b.  Formation and
Conditional Stability Constants of Complexes Formed Between Heavy Metals
and Bacterial Extracellular Polymers.  Water Res. 18, 379.

Stumm, W. and J.J. Morgan.  (1981).  Aquatic Chemistry - An Introduction
Emphasizing Chemical Equilibria in Natural Waters (3rd Ed.).  John Wiley
and Sons, Inc., New York.

Wilkinson, J. F.  1958.  The Extracellular Polysaccharides of Bacteria.
Bact. Rev.  22, 46-73.