Vacuolar dye MDY-64: Chemistry? Mode of action?

MacGregor, Barbara via methods%40net.bio.net (by bmacgreg from unc.edu)
Fri Nov 10 12:16:42 EST 2017

Hello,

We are looking into vital stains for bacterial vesicle and vacuole membranes, especially any that might be sensitive to lipid composition. Any information along those lines would be welcome, actually. But the particular question - can anyone point us to detailed characterization of MDY-64? It is used as a yeast vacuolar stain, but the papers I’ve been able to find don’t say much about its structure or why it might show this specificity, and the manufacturer's (Thermo Fisher, of course) technical support couldn’t find anything in their records.

Thanks,

Barbara MacGregor