FFPE tissue rehydration - which xylene?

Hiranya Roychowdhury via methods%40net.bio.net (by hroychow from nmsu.edu)
Sun Feb 17 12:39:02 EST 2013

Interesting question.  Looking back, we never used any purified xylene isomer, I think.  It was always a solvent grade xylene. for cleaning or as solvent for lipids/waxes. This came as a mixture or all isomers (xylenes?).  On the other hand, I think that any pure isomer will also work.  The mixture has a higher flashpoint and is safer (still stored in hazardous chem cupboards).

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Health & Public Services
NMSU-Dona Ana Community  College
575 527 7725 (office)

From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] on behalf of Gerchman [Gerchman from research.haifa.ac.il]
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:25 AM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: FFPE tissue rehydration - which xylene?

Greetings all

We are trying to rehydrate FFPE samples for protein
extraction (I know it is tricky) and the first on the protocol call for
wash with Xylene to remove the paraffin. The problem is I am not clear
about which xylene as there are at least 3 different isomers (orto, meta
and para).

Anyone knows which one is used?

Many thanks

Yoram