AA OF Pb and Hg

MYRNA E. WATANABE SCF7 at manvax.bitnet
Fri Jun 1 09:06:00 EST 1990

We are doing atomic absorption spectroscopy of small amounts of
desiccated animal tissue (liver and muscle to start) for Pb and Hg content.
We are using a Perkin-Elmer AA with a hydride probe.  Our sample base is
rare and valuable, so we cannot afford to lose it by trying out inappropriate
techniques.  Our questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone have a reliable method for Hg determination for this type of
tissue?  Does anyone have any hints or unique techniques?  Is there a cold
acid digestion method?

2) Can we do the lead determination first and then the Hg (cold technique)?

3) In doing the Pb digestion, we digest first in perchloric acid, then
perchloric and nitric acid, heat, then filter with a pump using Whatman #1.
Should we be cleaning or rinsing the filter in some way?

We appreciate any assistance.  Thank you.

Please reply to:

Myrna E. Watanabe
Biology Dept.
Manhattan College