[Info-gcg] Re: GCG non-support

Peter Rice via info-gcg%40net.bio.net (by pmr from ebi.ac.uk)
Tue Aug 7 03:45:41 EST 2007

Staffa, Nick (NIH/NIEHS) [C] wrote:
> I don't think it solves anything, just letting us keep using what we
> already purchased and at an extra price. The question is: how much?
>
> I'm sure that someone would adopt the package if allowed, else it will
> die a slow agonizing death.
> I was hoping someone could get thru to the accelrys folk even tho they
> have everybody there spouting the same party line.

Well .... I think they have done pretty well to announce the perpetual
licence.

Consider the effort involved in making a general release:

All the code has to be traced to its original authors. They, and/or
their employers, will hold the copyright to the code.

Determine how each "significant" section of code is licensed to GCG (as
University of Wisconsin, GCG, Oxford Molecular, Accelrys).

Gain agreement as necessary from each stakeholder. (or: remove that
stakeholder's code completely and make sure that the remainder still
functions without it.

Agree a licence for the remaining code, acceptable to all the remaining
stakeholders.

Make provision for paid support for anyone using the remaining code
(there will be enough users in need of support - and if any code is
removed some help will be required).

... and all with no hope of any financial reward.

The beauty of the perpetual licence is that existing users can carry on
with the way they work now.

Perhaps what you really need are two things:

Some continued support ... I would guess any group or company interesed
in taking over support cold make Accelrys an offer

Seqlab code ... which I still believe has a chance but it will take time
to work it ot. It is just a much simpler problem than the GCG
applications and libraries.

regards,

Peter Rice
European Bioinformatics Institute